Do I have to...?

Do you remember that feeling you had when you knew you were in big trouble when you got home after school, softball practice or from a friends house. I used to hate that feeling of knowing the minute I walking in that door that we would be having a "talk." Well, here I am at the age of 26 with those same feelings sometimes. It is usually after I've had an argument with my husband over the phone or sent a text message that I should have kept to myself. It is even worse when I am the one that is home waiting to have the argument...just waiting. I don't even like the word "argument"...so let's say heated discussion. ;o)

One of my biggest challenges is to keep my mouth shut sometimes! As a strong communicator, I could argue any side of the case and very well. I find my words flying out of my mouth before I even know what I am saying. These tendencies to yell at others without thinking about the consequences is of our flesh and not of the Spirit. It is not easy to keep your words to a minimum and make them all nice and fluffy when you feel a REAL need to get a strong point across. This is one of my most challenging areas of my life that I am working on to be more like Christ. Last night was my first trial...I was really upset...probably the most I have been in a while but my husband wasn't going to be home for another 2 hours. That could have given me lots and lots of time to get ready for the "heated discussion." I choose not to sit there and sulk (for very long). I choose not to call my mother and complain, cry and whine. Instead I took my dog for a walk and talked it out with God first. We need to remember that God wants to know our struggles and our pain...He wants us to share those concerns and frustrations with Him...but at the end of that, we need to hand it over.

Yes, some words were still exchanged and some tears were shed when my husband got home. But I didn't regret anything that was said that night. I went to sleep with peace in my heart, placed there by God. This morning I woke up to a quiet house to read from Lysa Terkeust's book "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God" This was near the scripture the book brought me to and was great for me to read today.

1 Peter 3:8-11 "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessings, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing for Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it.

No comments:

Post a Comment