A Stand Against Calorie Peer Pressure

Whenever I heard stories of great weight loss, there always seemed be part of the story missing. After losing 67 pounds, I am starting to get the "Behind the Scenes" look at the weight loss journey. I could say a lot about this topic but here is just one issue that people don't usually talk about...but I can't hold it in any longer.

Calorie Peer Pressure
Believe it or not, I have experienced peer pressure to eat! I thought we had moved past peer pressure once we left high school and college! It is like people are uncomfortable with my food options so they push me into eating what they want to make themselves feel better. I want to make it clear that people around me can eat whatever their heart desires, I could care less what you put in your mouth but don't force it into mine.

They will say things like, "Oh come on Michelle, live a little" or "You have to give yourself a break now and then" or "It is only one little piece of cheesecake, it won't hurt you"

Here are my sassy responses that I may never say to their faces:

"Oh come on Michelle, live a little"
I AM LIVING. What I was doing before was killing me slowly. It takes me so much work and determination and self control to lose just a few pounds. Even though I am more than able to eat whatever I want, I don't want what you are trying to pressure me into eating. I am now making thoughtful choices of what I put in my body. It is hard enough to make the right choices while battling the voices in my own head, I don't need yours chiming in too.

"You have to give yourself a break now and then"
That is one of many ways I got myself to my highest weight. Telling myself I deserved this type of food...that I work really hard and I should give myself a treat. I do give myself a "break" and eat something special but I plan for it! It isn't gonna be that greasy potato pancake that you are pushing on my tray! It is going to be something decadent and fresh and delicious.

"It is only a little piece of cheesecake, it won't hurt you"
True, it won't physically injure me but you wouldn't give a shot of vodka to an alcoholic? I know that this may seem a little extreme but whether overweight people want to admit it or not, we have an addiction to food. I don't need people trying to get me off the path that has brought me 67 pounds lighter!! I need people that applaud my difficult choices and walk along side me. It is so easy to get off track and when that happens, it is exhausting to get back on track. I would prefer to just stay where I am at..so no thanks, I don't need the cheesecake.

This is not a rant to satisfy the crabby girl in me...this is to inform those of you, who never struggled with weight in your life, that are around people making positive changes for their lives. Losing weight and changing your lifestyle is so difficult...harder than most people would admit...so be a part of their highway to a better life, not a person trying to get them to exit at the next McDonald's.

I know most of my posts talk about my spiritual journey but the journey of weight loss is something that I think too many women can connect with and it is the reality of my life right now. The Lord leads me through every single step and every pound lost and gained. HE is the only reason I have made it this far and I give all the glory to Him. My weight loss journey IS a spiritual journey..but I'll talk more about that later. 


Thank you for reading, Michelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment