Apology to the skinny girl

As a massive group of women that are unhappy with our bodies and insecure beyond belief, we need to stop hating the skinny women of the world.

It is easy to look at others and reduce what we are becuase of what they are. Beth Moore calls this "bad math" in her book "So long insecurity, you have been a bad friend to us." To break it down, here is how we feel:

She is skinny + I am not = I am ugly
She dresses in really nice clothes + I can't shop at those stores = I am worthless
She makes a lot of money at her job + I make less than her = I am a loser
She has a beautiful baby + I am having trouble getting pregnant = I am a failure 

As crazy as it feels to read this, we actually DO THIS in our heads! It is absolutely ridiculous. So next time you see a women with a smaller figure,  better clothes or the picture perfect family, don't become a victim of bad math. Anytime you see a woman that makes you feel insecure...stop your thought process and change it. See that woman as a sister in Christ with just an many issues as any of us have. Love her, don't envy her. Pray for her, don't put her down. This is long overdue.

Dear Skinny Girl,

I am so sorry. I am sorry that I hated and judged you for so long. I am sorry that I scoured your body looking for flaws that I could cling to and sooth myself with. I am sorry for being a friend to your face while envying every bit of food you put into your mouth that I was convinced had 0 calories for you. I am sorry for truly believing that your life was "perfect" because you wore a smaller jean size, had more boyfriends and wore shirts from stores I wouldn't even walk into. I am sorry that I unloaded all of my own insecurities onto you. I am sorry that I didn't see you as a wonderful woman that is incredibly more than just your size. Just because you are made one way, doesn't mean I am nothing and I apologize for feeling that way for so long. I hope that someday when I am a skinny girl, no one treats me the way I treated you.  Again, I am truly sorry and I will promise to change the way I think about you from this point on.

~Michelle


I don't know about you but I have enough baggage to carry around and it is very heavy. I don't need to carry this ridiculous and unwarranted hate around as well...I am letting it go today. I hope you will too...

No comments:

Post a Comment